Whether you have sensitive skin or you’re looking to invest in high-quality jewelry, it’s important to look at the materials and any possible coatings for the jewelry you’re about to purchase. This is because cheap and low-quality jewelry often contains nickel or other common elements of cheap metals that people are allergic to. Additionally, cheap and low-quality jewelry often has coatings to create certain colors, or even if make the jewelry seem as if it’s real gold. These coatings can peel and irritate your piercing.
If you’re looking for a way to invest in safe, high-quality jewelry with a splash of color for your nostril piercing, anodized titanium jewelry is a great solution.
First, What Is Anodized Jewelry?
Think about it; you never really see traditional titanium, stainless steel, or other metals in fun and fashionable colors. They usually are plain and silvery. Even 14k gold and bioplast jewelry don’t really have any added splashes of color.
When piercers or jewelry makers anodize jewelry, they utilize an electrolytic process that coats the jewelry by adding an oxide layer to the surface. As the jewelry is being anodized, both the texture and the crystalline structure of the metal change on microscopic levels. These alterations are what results in unique colors.
How Is Anodized Titanium Jewelry Safe for Nose Rings?
While many metals are capable of being anodized, it’s important that you select titanium jewelry for your nose ring. This is because titanium is the safest material to anodize.
The reasons why anodized jewelry is safe for nose rings include:
- It’s durable: Anodized titanium is significantly more durable than other types of metals. This is because the film that’s created when titanium is anodized is stronger than any other method of coloring metal jewelry, including plating and painting. Therefore, you won’t have to worry about the coating peeling off and irritating your nose piercing.
- It doesn’t change the original composition: Sometimes, the coatings that are plated or painted onto metal jewelry are not safe for piercings. Therefore, while you may have selected stainless steel jewelry, the coating could be made with a material that will irritate, infect, or cause an allergic reaction. However, when titanium jewelry is anodized, it remains titanium all the way through.
- It’s inert: Hypoallergenic jewelry doesn’t technically exist, as people can still react to common metals due to sensitivities. However, titanium jewelry is the closest you can get to hypoallergenic jewelry because it is one of the most biocompatible materials out of all metal jewelry types.
What Are the Color Options of Anodized Titanium Nose Rings?
One of the coolest things about anodized titanium is the variety of vibrant colors you can create. From royal blues to rainbows that look like oil slicks, blurple to rose gold, and even black, it’s easy to find the color jewelry that matches exactly what you’re looking for.
Does the Anodized Coating Ever Fade?
As durable as anodized jewelry is, it will experience normal wear and tear, especially if it’s a well-loved piece of nose jewelry. Over time, and as it is worn frequently, the vibrant color will begin to fade a bit. This is due to the oxidized layer starting to wear off. The good news is that unlike painted-on colors or plated colors, the fading color won’t affect the health of your piercing at all.
Some simple tips for keeping your anodized titanium jewelry as vibrant as possible include:
- Proper storage: Storing your jewelry in a container with a small piece of fabric or a cloth pouch will help keep the jewelry free of dust and dander. The purpose of the cloth or piece of fabric is to absorb any moisture.
- Avoid chlorine: It’s best to avoid swimming pools or other bodies of water that contain high levels of chlorine, as it can cause your jewelry to fade. Additionally, if you just got pierced, it’s best to avoid swimming pools and chlorine anyway because it can irritate your piercing by drying out your skin.
- Clean the jewelry properly: It’s important that you continue to clean your jewelry regularly. However, it’s best to just use warm water and mild soap. Adding any harsher chemicals into the mix can cause your jewelry’s vibrant color to fade, and it may even damage the titanium.
- Keep your jewelry and piercing free from irritants: This is especially the case if you have anodized jewelry in a new nose piercing. Irritants include makeup, perfume or other body sprays, facial cleansers, or other chemicals.
- Avoid wearing your jewelry if you’re going to be excessively sweaty: While it’s impossible to avoid normal body oils and sweat, it’s best to avoid wearing your jewelry if you’re going to be doing a heavy workout or you’ll be out in hot temperatures. The excessive amounts of sweat will put additional wear and tear on your jewelry, which can cause it to fade.
Where to Get Anodized Titanium Nose Rings
While you can certainly get anodized titanium nose rings at any professional piercing spot close to where you live, we also offer a wide selection of jewelry in our online store. Browse through our variety of vibrant colored anodized titanium nose rings today.